POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Future development of Pov Ray : Re: Future development of Pov Ray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Future development of Pov Ray
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 Feb 2007 02:20:58
Message: <45c82c5a$1@news.povray.org>
McHannemann schrieb:
> What Ben mentioned is what I had as a problem,
> scenes with rely heavy on lighting objects and interiors lit from outside
> and a lamp have sever problems, and I could just calculate in another
> renderer correct where pov ray left most of the areas completly black, you
> can have a look at kerkythea as example they have even comparsion shots
> between the render technologies.
>
> and... I didn`t want to sound offensive christopher,

This wasn't regarded as offence, but as i said we all know about the
techniques that exist to approach the global illumination problem.
Therefore mentioning some nice sounding names does not lead to much.

> I just wanted to know
> if you think about implementing additional methods...
> and if you like to get more information on it I would love to help and
> supply what I can get my fingers on!

As also said if you'd come up with some practical examples (i.e.
demonstrating usability and efficiency) of global illumination
techniques in comparison with POV-Ray's current system that would be
great.  But you should take care this is a valid comparison (i.e. no
mesh only scene compared to a complex CSG in POV-Ray) and giving render
times is essential of course.  Gilles made such a comparison for C4D
some time ago (the result was that the techniques seem very similar in
results although there are also differences).

-- Christoph